1 March 2016

The Immortal Hunter by Lynsay Sands

Hey everyone,


I’m back with the vampire books! When I saw The Immortal Hunter for sale on Amazon a few weeks ago I couldn’t resist picking it up. Lynsay Sands was one of the first paranormal romance authors I read and I always enjoyed her Argeneau series before. So I thought why not treat myself?

The book:
Even vampires need a vacation. But Decker Argeneau's ends abruptly when he's asked to help hunt the group of rogue vampires targeting mortals - one that might include a defector in his own family. Before he can worry about that, though, he's got to rescue the latest victim. It's all part of the job, including taking a bullet for a beautiful doctor.
Dr Danielle McGill doesn't know if she can trust the man who just saved her life. There are too many questions, such as what is the secret organization he says he's part of, and why do his wounds hardly bleed? However, with her sister in the hands of some dangerous men, she doesn't have much choice but to trust him.
Except now Decker's talking about life mates and awakening a passion that's taking Dani beyond anything she's ever known. Being undead may not be half-bad...especially if it means spending forever with a man who would love her with his mind, body, and immortal soul.

My thoughts:


I’m going to start with a little FYI. Due to reading this series completely out of order and having long gaps between each book, my memory of the extended Argeneau clan is hazy. A lot of the secondary characters are people I probably should have recognised, but I didn’t. Although this didn’t detract from the central romance between Decker and Dani, I do think it detracted from my enjoyment of the story as a whole. I felt like I was expected to already know and love all the extended characters and because of this they weren’t fully developed within this story.

Why is it you men always say trust me before spitting out something completely unpalatable?" she asked, irritation flickering through her. 

As with the last Argeneau novel I read, The Immortal Hunter starts with the human heroine Dani and her sister being kidnapped by crazed rogue vampires. In fact Decker and his partner are only able to save Dani because they are already tracking another rogue vampire... But that is a story for another book. Despite the action-packed beginning Decker soon realises that Dani is his lifemate (this universes term for soulmate). This leads to a series of complications for Decker, firstly because he can’t tell Dani he’s a vampire, but of course he wants to. Secondly Dani doesn’t trust him. At all. In fact she decides to trust someone that Decker and the rest of his group have warned her against.

Vampires aren't supposed to be real. And how come you had to be a cute vampire? You should be a dog. All evil, vile people should look as ugly as they are inside.

Yet slowly Dani realises she needs Decker and his friends to save her sister. Dani learns to trust Decker and they have some cute moments together. I won’t say anymore about the plot as I don’t want to ruin it for people. My main problem with The Immortal Hunter is it just felt so formulaic. It wasn’t a bad Lynsay Sands novel. It was humorous, light-hearted and action-packed; just what I’ve come to expect from the Argeneau series. Unfortunately on this occasion it didn’t grab me.

"What are you doing here?"
"Hiding with you"

I didn’t connect to either Dani or Decker as characters. Nothing about their story made me want to keep reading. I wasn't desperate to know whether they would get a happy ever after. I did finish the The Immortal Hunter but that was more due to having a free afternoon and how readable Lynsay Sands writing style is. I’ve therefore given this three stars because I liked it but I didn’t love it. It wasn’t awful, it just wasn’t anything special in my opinion.

My rating:
Happy reading and see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment