19 October 2015

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Hey everyone,


Apparently I’m reading this series by Stephanie Perkins backwards, but so far it hasn’t been a problem. When Lola and Cricket made a cameo appearance in Isla and the Happily Ever Afters I wasn’t sure what to expect from their story. They seemed so zany and wacky, and for some reason I imagined them in circus dress... Do not ask me why! In contrast to Isla and the Happily Ever After  Lola and the Boy Next Door is  set in San Francisco, which is my opinion made a nice change of setting. 

My book:
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion... She believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit - the more sparkly, more wild - the better. And life is pretty close to perfect for Lola, especially with her hot rocker boyfriend.

That is, until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighbourhood and unearth a past of hurt that Lola thought was long buried. So when talented inventor Cricket steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally face up to a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

My thoughts:


Do you know what I loved about Lola and the Boy Next Door? The boy next door, Cricket! He was fantastic. Throughout the book it was obvious he had feelings for Lola, and yet he didn’t become moody and aggressive due to her rejection of him. Instead he was happy to be her friend, a genuine I care about you but understand you have a boyfriend friend. I loved that Stephanie Perkins didn’t even mention the friend-zone. Instead she offered a healthy, interesting and charming view of both unrequited love and male-female friendship among teenagers.

I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.

Cricket and Lola have a history that is slowly revealed throughout the book. They’ve known each other for what seems like for ever, but due to his twin sisters Skating career Cricket hasn’t been around recently. And Lola was just fine with that thank you very much. She has an interesting, older boyfriend who gets her, great Dads and a fantastic best-friend. Of course her life isn’t perfect but she certainly doesn’t need Cricket showing up again and setting everything off kilter. Yet from the instance they meet again Cricket and Lola can’t stay away. They’re connected.

“One day, the boy had to move away. He couldn't bring the girl with him, so he brought the stars. When he'd look out his window at night, he would start with one. One star. And the boy would make a wish on it, and the wish would be her name.” 

I also thought Lola was a great character, slightly more flawed than Cricket. She can be impulsive, self-doubting and deep down has very little confidence. I especially felt for her towards the end when she begins to question her identity. I also loved that Cricket encouraged and supported her to be true to herself. To continuing being the crazy and colourful Lola he was in love with. In return Lola supports Cricket by seeing him. By praising his hobbies and intelligence, by forcing him to appreciate his own greatness.

Perfect is overrated. Perfect is boring.”

I smile. You don't think I'm perfect?”
“No. You're delightfully screwy, and I wouldn't have you any other way.”

The reason I had to give this book five stars is because it absorbed me. I became engrossed in the world of Lola and Cricket. Their love and respect for each other. I know when I’ve read a good book because the world goes quiet and time slips away from me. This happened when I was reading Lola and the Boy Next Door so I wouldn’t feel right giving it any less than five stars.

My rating:
Happy reading and see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment