26 January 2015

The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl by Gina Lamm

Hey everyone,


If any of you read my recent post about the difference between Canadian and British bookshops then you will also know I was recently in a bookshop and as such I brought some books. More particularly a book called The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl by Gina Lamm. I'll admit this book as been out for roughly two years now and is therefore not current, however, the reason I want to review it for you guys is purely personal. This is potentially the first book I have brought in nearly year were I haven't read lots of reviews before hand, I didn't look it up on Goodreads or Amazon to see the average star rating. I brought purely based on the blurb and the cover. Therefore, to me at least, this felt like doing the lucky dip of romance books. I had no re-conceived ideas about it and for that reason I've chosen to review it for you lot today. Enjoy!

The book:

The Stakes have never been higher...

An avid gamer, Jamie Marten loves to escape into online adventure. But when she falls through an antique mirror into a lavish bedchamber - 200 years in the past! - she realizes she may have escaped a little too far.

Micah Axelby, Earl of Dunnington, has just kicked one mistress out of his bed and isn't looking to fill it with another - least of all this sassy, nearly naked woman who claims to be from the future. Yet something about her is undeniably enticing...

Jamie and Micah are worlds apart. He's a peer of the realm. She can barely make rent. He's horse-drawn. She's Wi-Fi. But in the game of love, these two will risk everything to win.

My thoughts:

To me this book promised so much and the combination of a historcal setting and a geeky heroine was one I couldn't resist. I love geeky-nerdy heroines and heroes and the idea of someone with that personality being set back to a time pre-technology was too intriguing to resist. Also the cover is pretty nice so when I sure it in the shop I just had to buy it.

In many ways the book delivered. Jamie was a great heroine (although a little naive/stupid at times), honestly it like she had never even heard of the regency period. Of course they are more conservative and more strict about social morals. Surely that is just common knowledge... don't people get taught that in schools? I know I did, then again I've been reading historical romances since the age of thirteen and a natural love of history so I might have a higher than average knowledge of the regency  period.

Generally though she was great. Feisty, vulnerable, geeky an didn't naturally take to being chucked back in history. I have read a fair few time-travel romances after a few hours the heroine, or hero will just accept that they've left behind all modern luxuries. I don't know about anyone else but I would miss my shower, my iphone and my kindle. Defintely my kindle and it would take more than a few hours for me to except that I would potentially never see those items again. So for me that was a deifinte plus-point for The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl by Gina Lamm. 

I also really liked te chemistry between Jamie and Micah. The dancing scene where he was showing her how to Waltz was one of my favouites in the book. Unfortunately there is a but going in this review. The hero for me was just meh. He was there. He was an earl. He was honourable. He didn't stand out the crowd all that often. I loved his interations with his dog Baron and I even liked some of his interactions with Jamie, but most of the time he just felt two-dimensional to me. 

I wasn't even that interested in his backstory with the ex-mistress, partly because it all felt a little out-of-proportion to me. Micah was so obsessed with honour and his image that I couldn't connect to him. He came across, in my opinion as cold and rude for large portions of the book. I know I've said before that I have a weakness for alpha heroes but they have to have something more. They need to be vulnerable and emotoinal as well as domineering and autocractic. So to conclude great heroine but a meh hero, so overall I probably won't be re-reading this book or continuing the series.

My rating:
Happy reading everyone and see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment