17 January 2015

Dark Skye by Kresley Cole

Hey everyone,


I know I know this book has been out for ages and has probably been reviewed to death but I thought I throw my two pence worth into the ring. I have loved this series since I randomly brought Dark Needs at Night's Edge from Waterstones one day; that story is still one of my favourite Romance books ever. Normally I auto-buy Kresley Cole books and devour them the day they are released, however, due to a postal mix-up it took me quite a while to buy Dark Skye. After reading it though I couldn't not review it even if everything that could be said about it has already been said so without further ado I give you the book and my thoughts.

The book:





ETERNAL OBSESSION


As a boy, Thronos, prince of Skye Hall, loved Lanthe, a mischievous Sorceri girl who made him question everything about his Vrekener clan. But when the two got caught in the middle of their families’ war, tragedy struck, leaving Thronos and Lanthe bitter enemies. Though centuries have passed, nothing can cool his seething need for the beautiful enchantress who scarred his body—and left an even deeper impression on his soul.



ENDLESS YEARNING

Lanthe, a once-formidable sorceress struggling to reclaim her gifts, searches for love and acceptance with all the wrong immortal suitors. But she’s never forgotten Thronos, the magnificent silver-eyed boy who protected her until she was ripped from the shelter of his arms. One harrowing night changed everything between them. Now he’s a notorious warlord with a blood vendetta against Lanthe, hunting her relentlessly.

CAN THE HEAT OF DESIRE BURN BRIGHTER THAN VENGEANCE?

With their families locked in conflict and battles raging all around them, will Thronos and Lanthe succumb to the brutal chaos that threatens everything they cherish? Or will the fragile bond they formed so long ago spark a passion strong enough to withstand even the darkest doubts?


My thoughts:


This is Thronos and Lanthe a couple whose story I had been waiting to read for what felt like forever. Since Kresley Cole first introduced these two characters and a limited version of their backstory I have wanted their story. This was a Romeo and Juliet style love that had been sent seriously off the rails when Lanthe and Thronos were still children. To say expectations were high with this book would be an understandment. For the most part Kresley Cole delivered in my opinion the perfect book.


I loved the early scenes between Thronos and Lanthe; the conflict as they struggled to overcome their collective past, the pain and betrayal that had shaped them into the people they are today. Thronos in particular had a lot of, issues, shall to overcome. He didn't trust Lanthe but he couldn't not be with her. He didn't want to want her but at the same time he couldn't deny himself. He wants to change Lanthe and make her into the 'perfect' Vrekner wife but as he spends more time with her he realises that by changing her he'll break her.



This is a couple who have been kept apart through multiple misunderstandings on both sides but are still draw to each other. I understand these issues take time to be resolved and that obviously centuries of believing one thing about a person are not going to be changed over night, however, for me personally I felt like the middle section of the book dragged a little bit. I found the time Lanthe and Thronos spent in Pandemonia fascinating and it contained some of my favourite scenes from the book. The following two portal jumps a little less so in my opinion. If I'm being honest I would loved to have spent more time in Skye Hall and have learnt more about the Vrekner's as I felt Kresley Cole implied a lot of things but didn't really follow through. Like the nerd I am I wanted to know more about the origins and evolution of the Vrekners because it will now bug me for all eternity. Okay that might be slightly dramatic.


It did big up again towards the end and I feel like the key word for this couple is COMPROMISE. They come from two different species who cultures are almost polar-opposites (I mean they've been at war for god knows how long) so of course the ride isn't going to be easy. As always I loved Kresley Cole's world building, the heat and chemistry she created between the hero and heroine I just wish they had had more time to be happy as a couple. Still this is far-away one of the best books I've read this read and easily a four and a half or five star book just not my favourite in this fantastic series.

My rating:
Happy reading everyone and see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment